Thursday 4 November 2010

Now we are sixty

The air is decidedly cool as we head on in our Russian pilgrimage. Looking back, it was most certainly warmer and more cheerful back on Park Lane for Vile
Bodies. The next list is almost ready. Watch this space/your inbox. As I updated the spreadsheet, I was surprised at how big it has become. Long gone are the days when the excel sheet should show all the titles in one screen. Now there are a couple I didn't quite manage to fit in: Rabbit, Run, because I ran out of time; and most recently The Seagull which I've just ordered now – my highland fling got in the way of this.

But Scotch missed aside, let's pretend I did read these three titles. Goodness, that's sixty titles. Some might be short stories, or collections of verse, or novellas, but let's not be pedantic: it's rather special that we should have kept going. In less than three years we've read more titles than many might read in a lifetime – even if you missed a couple. It might fail at our next meeting (which makes me sound rather like Mme Verdurin): it could have been our last meeting. And even if it were, we've had a jolly good run. Yet somehow I suspect that we have rather a long way to go yet: the faithful will not fail us now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://wellingtonbookgroup.blogspot.com/